The Tabatabaei house or in Persian Khaneh Tabatabaei, is a historic townhouse in the oasis city of Kashan in the province of Isfahan, Iran. The owner was a Qajari rich merchant Sayyid Ja'far Tabatabayi.
The building was built in 1834. His architect was Ostad Ali Maryam, who later built Khaneh Borujerdi (1857). At the time of the establishment of "Khaneh Borujerdi", "Khaneh Tabatabaei" was declared an architectural benchmark for beauty, because the "Borujerdi" family was keen to marry into the "Tabatabaei" family. It is obvious that in building a house for bride the first factor to be measured is the beauty, Ostad Ali Maryam considered this point for Khaneh Tabatabaei, and later a wonderful Qajari wedding took place in this building.
The complex encloses four courtyards, contains fine murals and boasts elegant stained-glass windows and a variety of classic traditional elements of the home-dwelling culture of the time. The outer part accessible to strangers bears the name "Biruni" and the private inner part serving purely residential purposes and therefore inaccessible, which called "Andaruni". "Rasmi-bandi" - and "Yazdi-bandi" - dome elements divide the dome interior view.
The Borujerdi house or in Persian Khaneh Borujerdi, is the large family home of a rich Qajari merchant named Seyyed Ja'far Natanzi, also known as Borujerdi. It dates from the 19th century, located in the oasis city of Kashan in Isfahan province (Iran) and is an imposing example of adobe architecture.
The building was built in 1857. As above mentioned its architect was Ostad Ali Maryam, who had already built Khaneh Tabatabaei in 1834. It is remarked before that the Borujerdi family was interested in marrying the Tabatabaei family and this house built the Boroujerdi-ha House for the Tabatabaei's newly married daughter.
The complex has a rectangular courtyard, paintings by Kamal-ol-Molk and three 40-meter high wind towers. The wind towers have an unusual architecture, because they are built of stone, bricks and mud bricks. The clay bricks were clay, straw and mortar. Striking is the variety of filigree stucco elements, the animal motifs, such as flamingos, pheasants or peacocks and various fruits (especially grapes) show. The "Tālār" (hall) at the southern end of the house covers "Rasmi-bandi" and "Yazdi-bandi" dome elements with different light openings. The facility is considered a masterpiece of traditional residential architecture. Its production required 25 workers who worked at the plant for eighteen years. Above the large reception room is a skylight. This flanks a hexagonal wind tower, which has properties of air conditioning. If it catches a (small) breeze, directs it into a room below and there over a basin filled with water.
Like "Khaneh Tabatabaei", "Khaneh Borujerdi" has an exterior part accessible to strangers in the building, which called "Biruni" and a private interior part called "Andaruni". Exterior part is quite large, elaborate and accommodating a southern portico in front of a section called “Shah Neshin”. However, interior part is a separated part of the house used by the family members where they could have their ultimate comfort and seclusion form the other part.
Today, the both complexes is publicly accessible as a museum complex.