churchs in Iran
No doubt, we all know, the church is a Christian worship place. Historians attribute the beginning of the history of Christianity in Iran to the period of the Parthians (the first century AD). Presenting Parthian kings with freedom of religion and beliefs of people in the territories under their authority, which led to the displacement of a large number of Christians and missionaries persecuted by the Roman Empire on the territory of Iran. Here in a safe country they freely promoted their religious rituals and beliefs.
Of course, Christians needed religious places, such as churches, to carry out their religious activities, manifested in the buildings of churches in different places in Iran. The construction of churches in Iran in the eighth century AD during the reign of Shah Abbas the first. The structure of churches in Iran is a combination of Iranian and non-Iranian architecture.
Monastery of St. Stepanos
Armenian monastery 15 km south-west of the Iranian city of Julfa. Located in a deep canyon in the Arracks valley. Included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The monastery complex of St. Stepanos was built in the 9th century. In the era of the Safavid, after several earthquakes underwent a restructuring.
Cathedral of St. Christ the Savior
Also known as the Vank Cathedral, the main temple of the Armenian Church in Iran. Located in the city of Isfahan, in the Armenian quarter of Nor-Juga.
The cathedral was built between 1606 and 1655, one of the first created in the Armenian quarter of Isfahan Julfa by decree of the settlement of the Armenian question of Shah Abbas I, after another of his wars with the Ottoman Empire. The eclecticism of the cathedral - the contrast of Christian and Muslim styles - can be explained by the successive change of power in this suburb of Isfahan: European missionaries, mercenaries, Islamic power. It is possible to trace almost in chronological order the combination of the architectural styles of the cathedral in the exterior and interior. The temple is laconic outside, and rich in interior decoration.
The full name is the Cathedral of the Saints, and the word “Vank” is translated from Armenian as “monastery” and has become a common noun in Isfahan.
St. Sarkis Cathedral (Tehran)
The construction of the Cathedral of St. Sarkis was begun in 1964 and completed in 1970 by the Sargsyan brothers in memory of their parents.
Initially, the prelacy of the Armenian Church was located in the Church of the Holy Mother of God in the central part of the city. In the early 1960s, it was decided to move the prelacy. Thus, the bishop and the members of the committee, with the help of local Armenian entrepreneur Markar Sargsyan, implemented this decision. As a result, the committee bought a plot near Vila street (today it is Nejatollahi). In 2006, a certain Hrayr Hakobyan reconstructed the temple in memory of his beloved wife, Varduhi Davidyan.
"Iran seeks to include cathedral on UNESCO World Heritage List"
Monastery of St. Thaddeus (Kara-Kelisa)
The Black Church is an inactive Armenian monastery located in the province of Iran. Western Azerbaijan, in the Chaldoran (Shahrest) district near the city of Maku.
The name is associated with the Apostle Thaddeus, the supposed grave of which is located on the territory of the monastery. Legend has it that the first church at the tomb of the saint arose here in 68 AD e. The first information about the monastery dates back to VII century.
The monastery is located in a mountainous area, 20 km from the city of Maku. The modern building of the main cathedral was built in 1950, on the site of the former, destroyed by an earthquake. Most of the modern buildings of the monastery belong to the beginning of the XIX century, when it was reconstructed with the assistance of Iranian Prince Abbas Mirza.
In 2008, the object “Armenian monasteries in Iran” was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, which in addition to St. Faddey Monastery also includes St. Stephen and Dzordzor monasteries.
The service, which is held in the main church of the monastery once a year (in early July - on the day of St. Faddey), attracts Armenian pilgrims from all over Iran.
Church of the Holy Heritage
The Church of the Holy Heritage is the historical name of the church in Qazvin, which belongs to the Armenian Apostolic Church. The building of the current Armenian Church, which is called “Sacred Heritage”, developed due to the expansion of their presence in Qazvin and the smallness of the previous church in 1936 through the efforts of the priest “Harutyun Mussopian” on the land endowed with “Hvans Barzeghian” and has a temple, a meeting room and one school. This church is located on Talegani Street, and another door opens from Khayyam Street.
The church building is a brickwork, the main rectangular shape with four tall columns connected by a spear-shaped bells. The pastor’s seat is on the east side of the church, and the bell tower is on the west side.
Sorh Abad - The smallest church in the world
Sorh Abad Church is located in the village of the same name near the town of Savd-Kuk in the province of Mazandaran. It seems that the Italian engineers who came to Pahlavi’s time to build a railway built a church for religious ceremonies. This is confirmed by the Italian inscription written on the head in this church.